Wednesday, 30 December 2009
The Sounds of 2009
In the last two years that I've been blogging I've written a post on my favourite albums, but this year hasn't really been the year of the album (for me) so instead here is a list of ten songs that I have really loved in the past twelve months (not in any particular order) :
1. I Cut Like a Buffalo - The Dead Weather....what can I say Jack White and Alison Mosshart....a bit of organ, it's just cool.
2. My Girls - Animal Collective - I like listening to this song walking, it's a good one for waking up to on the way to work.
3. White Blank Page - Mumford and Sons - my brother introduced me to mumford and sons, and then my dad and we all became very taken (as in.... is there more, we need more!). If there was to be an album of my year this might be it. But white blank page is the song I always go to first.
4. I'll Fight - Wilco - I just love Jeff Tweedy's voice in this track, it's a little bit country for me, but still good.
5. Hearing Damage - Thom Yorke - ok so it's off the new moon soundtrack but it is still Thom Yorke and my love for him continues. Plus I think I can kinda relate to the feeling in this song, it's been one of those years.
6. And The Boys - Angus and Julia Stone - so pretty and beautiful, it's only newish but still so good, I'm getting more used to Julia's voice.
7. Clean White Love - Lisa Mitchell - another kinda cutsey australian song. I watched High Fidelity again last night and I love the line "what came first pop music or the misery"....I think this song is the antithesis of this and I needed some enjoyable pop this year.
8. Undisclosed Desires - Muse - this song is cheesy with a capital C! It makes me feel like I am 18 again and I didn't think muse would ever write a song like this but it sticks in my head and it's good for listening to loud in the car late at night.
9. Animal - Miike Snow - it's fun, i feel like dancing when i hear it, 'nuff said.
10. Out the Airlock - Paul Dempsey - another voice I love, it was so great hearing him play this song just before christmas.
I haven't been to see much live this year, but Jeff Martin ( the second time this year) playing Hurt was spine tinglingly good, and Ben Kweller was lots of fun.
I'd love to know what your favourite songs were this year?