Tuesday 9 October 2012

Stuff


It seems something has to give when you move house and get sick at the same time (another sinus infection), and so for me poor old blogging was the thing that fell off the list. I'm not sick anymore and am just about finished the last of the cleaning - thank goodness!

All that's really left to do now is finding spaces for my 'stuff', which I think I have far too much of, and which must have been deceptively well stored out of eyesight in the old flat. Actually I'm feeling a bit torn about 'stuff' right now, I like the things I have but my style is changing, and changing towards a more scandinavian/minimalist style, but how do you practically do minimalist? I have no idea. Where do you put stuff. It's not so easy when you live in houses with no built in storage. Do you just get rid of it? I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that. Also the whole changing style thing is making me want to buy lots of new 'stuff'.....! Mad really.

10 comments:

Olivilla said...

umm love your Breakfast!!!!

Sarah B said...

Sounds like you have a conundrum there Catherine! I like stuff too, and lots of different styles, but resist buying stuff as I know I don't really need it. Sometimes it's nice to have a few new, special things though, don;t you think. Good luck working it out!

Martina said...

Keep what you love (whether you think it's your current style or not as what you like always changes but some fundamentals always remain I think)! Sell everything else! My policy these days is that, if I want something new, I sell something in order to buy it! So, you save money and you get rid of stuff you don't want...win:win!

angela vasquez said...

I really understand what you're saying. I'm a collector. If I went to my parents house I always bring some old stuff. But after some time I will put it back! try to put thing well separated by boxes if you don't want to put them in garbage. If you're trying to addict to the minimalism style you have to see the beautiful mid century lamps from Delightfull unique lamps.

Claire/Just a little less said...

Know this feeling - our new house has far less surface areas and therefore after 4 months here I have only a few items out. This has made it easier to get rid of those last remaining 'treasures' - it's as if they don't belong here. Take care xo

dear olive said...

We suffer from the same "stuff" issue. (In a flat with no storage.) Solution? We rented a garage. We can store stuff to our hearts desires!
But really I wanted to say that egg cosy is the cutest thing!
Kellie xx

It followed me home said...

Hi Catherine,
Despite being sick hope all is well with you? ..
I am certainly feeling the same way at the moment.. itching to cull "my stuff", but everytime i go to i find an excuse not to part with it, crazy vicious cycle!
As daunting as the move was, can I selfishly say that I can't wait to see what you do with your new home? Good luck!

low voltage lights said...

The same feeling of being torn from what you WANT and WHAT you need.

Kelli Murray said...

your photos are all so lovely. I hear ya on the changing style dilemma! I am going through it myself too! errr.

Anonymous said...

I try to stick to a "one in, one out" rule. I also do a cull twice a year for the extra bits that creep in. And although it sounds absolutely ridiculous, I have finally learned to be constructive when people ask what I'd like for my birthday/Christmas (assuming you can't talk them into no presents). Otherwise well-meaning but unwanted presents accumulate because I feel guilty getting rid of them. For storage? Drawers under the bed, old wine crates or wooden boxes under the couch (i.e. storage that looks okay) and - if I'm honest - my parents' place if I'm completely stuck.
Good luck!
Ellen