Saturday 28 December 2019

christmas 2019

It’s funny how there’s so much lead up to Christmas and then suddenly it’s over with. I felt like I thought about Christmas so much this year, the gifts, the wrap, the food etc, probably because I’m home with fewer things to think about than normal. Anyway we had a very lovely Christmas, both Matt and Elroy finished up for the year on the Thursday before, which meant we had plenty of time for preparations. We made a gingerbread house, had a catch up with my cousins, went out for lunch, I made crackers and we did the food shopping. 

On Christmas morning I was sure we were going to be up at the crack of dawn (well I was with Rufus anyway) but Matt kindly took him for a walk. Elroy slept in until 6:45, and Matt was still out, so he had to wait before opening presents (oh the agony!). He loved it and to my surprise Rufus was pretty into some of his gifts too. We had pigeon whole croissants for breakfast and then rushed to get the table sorted and sides cooked before family arrived. My grandmother came, and for the first time since I was maybe 10, I had Christmas lunch with both my parents. It was really nice and relaxed, other than the fact that Rufus was clingy and tired but wouldn’t sleep and theme that continued through the night when he was awake from 10:20 until 2am. So by that point my nice Christmas memories were well and truly just memories. My favorite thing about the day was Elroy constantly telling me I looked like a princess because (unusually for me) I wore a dress and when I asked him at dinner time what his favourite thing from the day was, he pointed to me and said it was me wearing the dress. It was incredibly sweet.

Now we are in that wonderful lull between Christmas and new year, Boxing Day was very quiet and yesterday we went on a road trip to Hastings Caves. Elroy had been talking about stalagmites and stalactites so we thought we’d show him. He really loved it, and of course we had to swim in the thermal pool after. It finally feels like summer is here and I’m so glad we have this time to spend together and hopefully get some rest in. 

No comments: