Tuesday 31 December 2019

farewell 2019

2018 was a hard year, we were both stressed with work, then I was pregnant and sick. I then spent the first six months (nearly) of 2019 feeling sick and pregnant. Then we had Rufus and that was a whole new challenge working our way through silent acid reflux and colic (although a very sweet and much loved challenge). I don’t feel like I accomplished much, I didn’t read a lot, or go to many concerts, take many trips or even go out for dinner much. My interest in cooking and food was diminished by my being so sick. I had to go through a full stressful application process for a job I’d been in for several years - while seven months pregnant. Rufus’ birth left me feeling somehow robbed and slightly traumatised. Matt has equally had challenges with work and I feel like I have not been able to support him as I would’ve liked.

But there were highlights - the main being the arrival of my beautiful baby boy. Seeing and experiencing Elroy grow and learn, have the most incredible imagination, and be so full of love and innocence. Going to Mofo with Matt in January for a night all on our own and singing along to Courtney Barnett and dancing to Pnau. Seeing Jonsi and Alex perform in Hobart and Nick Cave and Warren Ellis at the Sydney Opera House. Mostly just the days where we do something together as a family make me the happiest.

I am ready for 2020. I am ready to move into a new phase, plan some things and hopefully make them happen. It’s also the last full year of my 30’s and I feel very aware of this, so hopefully it will give me the motivation I think I need.

The only thing I’m not ready for next year is Elroy starting kinder...it feels somewhat bittersweet and I feel completely underprepared for him to make that transition. But I know him, he will take it in his stride and do so well.

No comments: