Monday 26 October 2015

holiday

We spent last week in Melbourne and had a few days in the city, followed by a few days on the Mornington Peninsula. The main reason for the trip was for Matt to take part in the Melbourne marathon, which he did brilliantly! I am so proud, because this has been a very big year for him with Elroy, a new job, training for the marathon and supporting me as well, and he has done it all in his stride. 42.195 kms is a bloody long way to run and so I think it is pretty impressive!

Traveling with a baby really has made me lower my expectations of what can be done in a day, and we spent a lot of time hanging out in the hotel while Elroy slept. This wasn't so bad and it made us sit down and read and relax, when normally at home I would be worried about the messy house, or dishes or washing.

We did manage to get out to Beatrix Bakes in North Melbourne (which has been on my list for a while now) and Guild of Objects which is conveniently right next door, had our usual breakfasts at the European (where you will always spot a minor celeb - this time George Calombaris, who, when he walked in, seemed so familiar to me I nearly said hello, but then realised he didn't actually know me, and I didn't actually know him either), tried out Hawthorn Common and Cumulus Inc again...I realise I am mostly writing about food places but apart from a few walks in the parks and a few quick scoots around the shops we didn't do much else.

The day after Matt completed the marathon we picked up a hire car and visited my aunt and cousin, stopped in at Ikea (because yes that is something Tasmanians do while on holidays) and headed down to Sorrento. I'd really been looking forward to this part of the trip and it was lovely down there, I think we were all a bit tired so they were very quiet days, perhaps when Elroy is a bit older it would be a good place to head back to.

1 comment:

Katrina@capturingmoments said...

I've always wanted to go to Melbourne. I'm flying down with two of my friends in December and I can't wait!