Sunday 2 July 2017

Winter List

Hi. Hello. This is a very neglected place. There was a lot going on while we were doing the renovation and I really did not have the head space to keep up with blogging as well. But I made a promise to myself that I would start again in July. This isn't a huge house reveal post. It isn't actually finished yet, there is still a boarded up window, cords coming out of the wall where our heater should be, no blinds, and things have very much been plonked on shelves to be considered another day. BUT we are home and it is lovely, the space, the new kitchen, the new bathroom, new soft plush carpet, so many things to be very happy and grateful for. I will take photographs and write about it all soon, for now I figured a nice soft re-entry to blogging was in order. So here is my winter list:

Making: I made Elroy a box car (we have a lot of empty - and not so empty - boxes floating around at the moment), it’s cute, I think, and I enjoyed making it, so simple and yet he has had a lovely time playing with that and another big box that he uses as a garage/house/trailer. 

Looking: forward to my copy of Ok Not Ok on vinyl arriving in the mail (although had a know that the local record store Tommy Gun was selling it, I would have purchased it from there). All the current 90's music nostalgia at the moment is making me feel old, but I think it is pretty enjoyable. I saw Radiohead for the Ok Computer tour, I was 16 and it was a very big thing for me. And I got my cd signed!

Cooking: in my new kitchen. I’m really hoping that I will start to enjoy cooking again after a period of low inspiration. Oh and I also need to make some more bread and butter pickles, because we are out and they are perfect for toasted sandwiches. If only I could find the recipe I used last time….

Drinking: far more coffee than I should, and ever have before.

Reading: I need some new book suggestions (as always), I started the year off quite well but the last few months have fallen off the wagon.

Thinking: and overthinking as always.

Wanting: the house to be properly finished, you know with all new fancy furniture, rugs and artwork. But I know it doesn’t work like that. It takes time and all that....

Playing: Paul Dempsey's cover of Middle Kids 'Edge of Town'

Liking: the Brushes app, David Hockney's exhibition inspired me a little.

Enjoying: being home, sleeping in my own bed, having a somewhat more settled two year old.The last week or so before we moved home, his behavior was a bit crazy to say the least.

Needing: another trip to Mona to see the museum of everything exhibition. So much to see and take in. Also I need to visit the Agrarian Kitchen's new eatery

Wearing: my Dana Kinter + Gorman raincoat, a beanie, scarf and gloves whenever I take Jerry for his evening walk, in just the last week or so it has really started to cool down.

Buying: hopefully some furniture for the house, namely a sofa and some bench stools (and a rug – but that is lower on the priorities). We are waiting to get a full assessment of the damage from our builder and I’m really hoping we can do something.

Getting: excited about seeing Sigur Ros and LCD Soundsystem at the end of July! I’ve seen both Sigur Ros (and Jonsi solo before) but never LCD Soundsystem. There is one particular part in Dance Yourself Clean where the beat drops, I just can’t wait to be there in an audience when that happens!

Feeling: intrigued. Perhaps, I'm not sure if that is the right word for it. I went to see My Cousin Rachel at the cinema today, and I enjoyed it, it's nice to see a film that leaves you wondering.

Listening: to podcasts, at the moment I really love Bang On with Myf Warhurst and Zan Rowe, they have such a great way of conversing with one another, it’s funny and entertaining and a lot of the things they bang on about are things I’m interested in. Also I’ve started listening to the Violet Sessions, some are a little bit frivolous (the interview with Plum Sykes) but still engaging.

Considering: what I’m going to do, and try to achieve in the next six months. Moving back home feels like a new start and I want to embrace that and make some plans. How to self-motivate is one of my biggest challenges.

Following: Jen Garrido – I love her work, the colours and shapes in her paintings are beautiful and so warm and summery for me, and her linen printing is so good. It has inspired me to try to do some screen printing on linen.

Disliking :the fact that we don't have a proper heater yet....I feel like we might as well just be burning money right now. But fingers crossed it will be installed tomorrow.

No comments: