Thursday 15 August 2019

Winter list

I have been wanting to blog for a while now, I think it is because I am not at work writing everyday, and I miss writing. I figured a seasonal list post is a good place to start...

Taking: baby steps with this whole adjustment to two children. Each day as it comes.

Making: some knitted name signs for Elroy and Rufus. I’m pretty sure they are going to look very dodgy but I’ve found the simple knitting rather calming.

Watching: I finally got to watch Mike Mills’ 20th Century Women, which is now on Netflix. I loved his film Beginners, it’s wonderful and incredibly visually appealing. This one is no different, the use of colours, the home, the clothes, the music, and the relationships, I loved it all. I’m definitely going to watch it again. I enjoyed reading this article about objects in the film. Also I loved the part about Talking Heads, I saw David Byrne last year for the second time (the first was with St Vincent) and he is just so incredible....sorry I digress....

I also want to watch the second series of Fleabag, hopefully the ABC will air it soon. Oh, and I still haven’t watched Thom Yorke’s Amina film.

Liking: it when Rufus has one of those dreamy feeds where he sleeps peacefully on me. We took a little bit of time to get feeding right and he can be fussy at times, we are currently thinking he might have reflux and he has been miserable, so I don’t take it for granted.

Thinking: about cubby houses. Elroy has been requesting one for years (ever since we stayed at this air bnb), and I think it’s time we finally start working on it. It will be a fun project to work on with him from design to building. That’s the plan anyway.

Doing: nothing more than the core daily chores and allowing myself to rest and relax when I can. Getting out to see friends and family a few times a week but trying not to over do it. I’d also forgotten how many appointments there are with a new baby, not to mention all the daycare pick up and drop offs for Elroy.

Cooking: not much....yet! But I want to, after serious food aversions and sickness the whole way through pregnancy I am still a bit shy of branching out, but it’s coming back to me. We recently cooked a few recipes from ABC life and they were great. I also need to do some healthy snack baking, I forgot how hungry breastfeeding makes you.

Drinking: tea and so much water. I still haven’t really been game enough to try coffee again yet. It made me so sick while pregnant, and now I don’t want it to interfere with Rufus’ sleep. I’m also still hanging out for that first glass of sparking wine, just waiting for the right occasion.

Enjoying: getting out and walking with Rufus and Jerry when the weather is decent enough. Being outside exercising feels so good at the moment.

Missing: my spare/quiet time.

Wanting: to do something creative again, but I’m not sure what. I’m so indecisive right now.

Hearing: I have a few things on rotation at the moment: the new Vampire Weekend, Amina by Thom Yorke, Unknown Mortal Orchestra,

Reading: I really need a new book, any suggestions? The last books I read were the two Sally Rooney’s (really liked both) and Dolly Alderton’s Everything I Know about Love - which made me feel kinda old

Loving: that Rufus is slowly starting to get his smile going, and his little sqwarky ‘talking’ and the way Elroy loves him so much already.

Feeling: all the emotions. This winter feels like such a big one, personally and within our family. It’s challenging being home and inside so much with a very active 4 year old, a dog who just wants a walk.

No comments: