Wednesday, 31 August 2011
Last night I went to the State to see the film Beginners with Ewan McGregor, I had seen the preview and thought it might be good but was surprised by how much I really did like it. It was sweet and nicely quirky, and I now would like a little wiry jack Russell called Arthur. I give it two thumbs up.
Oh and couch d-day (delivery day) was yesterday, I’m in two minds about it …like I thought I would be. Let’s just say for my little flat it is a big piece of furniture. I will post some pics after the weekend.
Sunday, 28 August 2011
I don't have many words tonight, I feel tired but haven't done anything to make me feel this way. It's been a weekend of doing things that should have been done already, cleaning up and clearing out. Sometimes I feel I have waaay too much stuff for one person. It can be overwhelming, don't think I actually need a third of it!
Thursday, 25 August 2011
* Apparently supermarket sponges are nice if you fill them with home made raspberry jam and cream and decorate yourself! Good for last minute birthday cakes. It was my mum's, we had take away pad thai, watched Arthur and ate cake. Rather enjoyable.
* Will I get a phone call tomorrow letting me know my couch will be delivered on saturday? Going on the last few weeks experience it is unlikely, but a little part of me is still holding out some hope.
* The weather has been insanely warm (well for Hobart, 22 in winter!), good for blossom, not so much my head. It all cracked up this afternoon anyway, bound not to last.
* I need some new music. Preferably not Gotye, I did like it, then my new neighbour played it on repeat....a lot. Forced listening, not good. Over it now.
Monday, 22 August 2011
When I was in London I had the intention of stopping by violet cakes, I think I had read about it in a Jamie mag and it sounded like a must visit place. But because I had so little time never made it there, seeing the photographs on Narumi's blog makes me wish I really had. Serious cupcake love! I think I'd have to have a french apricot...but then salted caramel....!
Sunday, 21 August 2011
Still making the most of the poppies around here! Actually I am amazed, the last time I had poppies for only two days before they had to go, I'm usually so allergic to flowers like that.
This weekend has been one of two halves, yesterday I felt a bit sick and bored (that dreaded b word!) and watched a few movies. Then today the sun came out, I went to the farmer's market, the gym, did three loads of washing, and an island menu post. Now I'm enjoying a hot blackcurrant drink made with syrup from the market and listening to led zeppelin (Since I've Been Loving You), perfect sunday night.
Thursday, 18 August 2011
I’ve written about three draft posts lately and scrapped them all, guess I’m still feeling a bit unsure of what to write here. Anyway it’s been pretty uneventful this week. But I did get to finally see Jane Eyre (why is Australia so slow at getting films? It’s the same with Midnight in Paris) and despite the fact that it is a much lighter version with big omissions and changes, I actually rather liked it, a lot. Perhaps more than other versions.
I might have mentioned it but Jane Eyre is my all time favourite story, and strangely now every time I go back to it, which is probably once a year, think of Nenah Cherry and Youssou N'Dour's song 7 seconds. I had this song on (very) heavy rotation the first time I ever read the book, I think I was about 13. The two have become intertwined.
Sunday, 14 August 2011
Time seems to be going really fast right now, I want it to slow down, last week was quick but this weekend has been even faster!
- Last thursday the postman dropped off a rather large and exciting box, I splurged at Anthropologie when the dollar hit $1.10 US! Everything is beautiful (you can see a few things above - the bowl with the eton mess, and the notebooks and some pillow cases that are in the bottom shot), I'm so glad I just did it.
- I think it's because spring must be on the way but I've been thinking a lot about growing more plants in pots on my front porch and have now planted some baby carrots (not sure how they will go in a pot), rocket, lemon thyme and icelandic poppies for pretty colour.
- I've been listening to Watch the Throne (not too bad!), watching 24 Hour Party People (very good- and Ian Curtis' death was easier to deal with than in Anton Corbijn's Control), Never Let Me Go (somewhat disturbing) and reading Inheritance
- Apparently I like orange, who knew! I would never have said so but I've noticed it a lot in my things lately.
Hope you all had great weekends!
Wednesday, 10 August 2011
Have you seen Kinfolk Magazine yet? It has been out for a little while now and features some great stories on food and gathering with friends. I can’t wait for my paper copy to arrive (although I’m glad it didn’t turn up the past few days, my postman has a habit of leaving things out in the rain!). The journal is really great too and I was so excited to see a little post about Island Menu! Very kind words.
By the way thank you for all your kind words on my last post too, it seems what I'm writing about is ok, but I might do a little more on Hobart too : )
Monday, 8 August 2011
Sorry for the lack of posts lately, I think I have been at a bit of a loss as to what to actually blog about and photograph. What do you all like seeing/reading here most? I could set up one of those survey thingys but honestly I would just love your thoughts.
I’m sure the winter weather isn’t helping my inspiration much either, it’s just grey grey, with some crazy rain in the mix. I think I need to learn to embrace it....somehow.
Hope you all had a great weekend.
By the way did you catch Sam's great little film over on Island Menu...I think it's so great.
Monday, 1 August 2011
1. baby cauliflowers, how cute are they. I got them from Salamanca market on saturday, I went down while Sam did some filming for an island menu video! So exciting I think it looks great and it will be up in the middle of the week. Oh and a bulmers cider for breakfast at knoppies is not such a bad thing : )
2. chicky chick Lola, she's so lovely
3. a change from my usual tulips
4. coquilles st jacques
also I wish I had been at splendour this weekend! ugh!